New Awlins and the Ride with the Bandit.

So, we just got in from Louisiana. First of all, it is completely surreal to see the devastation around the coast. The smell and sights will consume you. Pray...

Now, the wedding. New 'Awlins is a different world. It's swampy, boggy, wet, humid, flippin' hot, and filled with gravy. It's like a different country with a completely different language. And I loved every moment. I cried A LOT, I ate even more and took a ton of pictures. Heidi and Nick's families are amazing. They love their children and love the people that are in their children's lives. The community floating around this past weekend was intoxicating. The wedding itself took place at Southern Oaks Plantation which was amazingly untouched by Katrina. And we danced and laughed and then rode off in limos. It was like a fairy tale with Heidi starring as the Cajun Goddess and Nick as the soon to be Gree-jun (Greek-Cajun?).

Oh and not to mention I met Burt Reynolds this weekend. I rode in the elevator at our hotel with him and the exchange went something like this:

ding: elevator doors open and Burt Reynolds steps into the elevator...

me (thinking): HOLY CRAP! THAT'S FLIPPIN BURT REYNOLDS!

Burt: Hello, how are you?

me: Fine and you?

Burt: A lot better now that I'm in this elevator with you.

me: Thanks.

Burt: You smell really nice.

me: Um, thanks. I'm here for a wedding.

Burt: Certainly not yours I hope.

me: No, my really good friends are getting married.

Burt: Good, because you are certainly too young and extremely too beautiful to get married.

The elevator dings.

me: Well, this is my stop. It was nice meeting you.

Yeah sort of creepy, but still awesome.

Later that night we saw Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer. Gizz and Jenn got to have a little exchange with Val and he actually sent some well wishes to Nick and Heidi. This morning Jenn had the chance to meet up with Val Kilmer in the elevator again and asked the "other guy" in the elevator to take her picture with her wing man when Val says, "well, you know Jim right?" It just so happens that it was Jim Caviezel (you know Jesus from The Passion of the Christ and The Count of Monte Cristo). Oh and Vivica A. Fox walked past Nick and Heidi as they were off on their way to the Honeymoon.

How's that for a weekend?


Monday, April 03, 2006 | 10:15 PM | LINK |