Sometimes I feel the need to have to explain myself. I'm one of those who wants people to understand what I'm saying completely. When people ask "how are you doing?" I want to be able to tell them truthfully how I am with no frills or understatements. Moreover, when people ask me what God is doing in my life I want to be able to form into words what He's been teaching me. The past few weeks my words have failed me. At first I believed that my brain was just malfunctioning and soon it would come to an end. But even as I sat down with my journal I just couldn't form into words what had happened that day or the place where God had brought me. I would write and scratch through and try again. I even broke out the thesaurus in hopes of the return of my vocabulary. I began to read through Psalm and a verse that I had read many times stilled my mind, my head and my hand.

"Be still and know that I am God." - Psalm 46:10

So often I feel that I have to document each and every moment. I'm afraid that I will forget it. That I will forget that emotion. But sometimes God presents us with such great a moment that we aren't supposed to be able to describe it. That is the beauty of God. Those moments that are so precious that words cannot and aren't supposed to be documented. Those moments where He stills you and says, "How are we, we good?" And then He gives you this picture, this flower, this gift that is just for that moment. Let me give you an example. There was this sunset the other evening and it was amazing. It was pink, blue, purple, gold, yellow, orange, and some others as well. I could try to describe it to you, but I'm sure you probably wouldn't see in your mind what I saw in person (for the record I took some photos of that sunset. You can see them here.). You see, I could try describe to you one of those amazing moments. And while it may touch your heart or make you think, it's probably not going to come close to what actually happened or the depth of the emotion during that time. And it's completely okay.

I guess I said all that to say this...I've missed the strength of many of my moments spent with my God because the whole time I was thinking, "I have to write this down." It all isn't supposed to be written down. There are times when it is proper to be still and know that He is God. And for our faith to be strengthened by seeing His character refined and cleared in our hearts.

You're probably wondering what happened to spur this on. Well, I could try to tell you, but words wouldn't do it justice...


Sunday, November 20, 2005 | 9:09 PM | LINK |