I Saw The Best Minds of My Generation...


Simon's Passion.
Originally uploaded by Lanna Grace.
Fifty years ago, six poets gathered to read poetry. Most of whom had never read their poetry in public...

The advertisement:
6 POETS AT 6 GALLERY
--------------------

Philip Lamantia reading mss. of late JohnHoffman-- Mike McClure, Allen Ginsberg,Gary Snyder & Phil Whalen--all sharp new straightforward writing-- remarkable collection of angels on one stage reading their poetry. No charge, small collection for wine, and postcards. Charming event.

Kenneth Rexroth, M.C.

The event took place at the Six Gallery in San Francisco. Jack Kerouac collected money at the door and urged Ginsberg on as he read the first part of "Howl" with a "GO! GO!" It marked the beginning of the beat generation.

This past Thursday evening, I had the privilege to be a part of the 50th Anniversary of the Six Gallery reading. I read a Lamantia poem, "There is This Distance Between Me and What I See." My good friend, f. Simon Grant, organized the event. Many students, some who seemed lifeless at the beginning, were on the edge of their seats and cheering as the reading of Ginsberg's "Howl" began. The crowd began to interact with the readers, "Drop the mic you don't need it"...clunk. "GO! GO!" "Yeah, baby!"

Were they listening?
I hope so.

Were they stirred?
I hope so.

Did they leave with the urge to create something?
I hope so.

I hope that they left with the knowledge that poetry is not all unicorns and puppies and sappy love, but that it's also rough and jagged, kick you in the stomach, emotion turning, rage and sadness and excitement that makes you want to run down to the nearest street corner and scream.


Monday, October 17, 2005 | 6:06 PM | LINK |