Giddy

Shua and I went to see the AC production of The Glass Menagerie last night. It was, what good theater is all about; intensity and intimacy. I was so enthralled in the story and acting that I became unaware of the people around me and felt as though I was the only one watching. People are bound to shuffle feet, candy wrappers, the program, or whisper to each other. It's up to the actors to command the attention of the individual viewer and make them feel alone, isolated, and vulnerable to the story. Our job is to make them feel as though they were the only one hearing the story and make it come alive with genuineness and purity from the words of another. That's the art and the challenge in the theater. That's why I miss it so much. Somebody get me back on stage. I really need to start looking.

Shua and I also realized last night that we have been to every AC performance together since I stopped performing and graduated. I guess I'm just lucky to know someone who enjoys theater as much as I do and really gets it.

Now after the play we waited around for Brandy and we took her back to her dorm and on the way we became overcome with a fit of giddiness of which I haven't experienced in quite some time. I laughed til I cried, guffawed, and found voices in me that had laid dormant for years. Yes, I slept well last night.



Thursday, January 20, 2005 | 9:04 AM | LINK |